In less than nine months after earning his Four Million Dollar Sire status, Gunner (AQHA Colonels Smoking Gun; APHA Colonels Smokingun) has become The National Reining Horse Association’s (NRHA) fourth, Five Million Dollar Sire. As of May 13, 2013, the NRHA Hall of Fame inductee has official offspring earnings of $5,096,543.
As of May 13, 2013, the National Reining Horse Association Hall of Fame inductee Gunner has official offspring earnings of $5,096,543.
© 2013 by Tristan Dark New window.
“We feel very lucky to have another great horse in our life, Hollywood Dun It being the first. No matter how great any horse is, it still takes all the people in his life to make him successful. We have so many people to thank for his success and we just want each of them to know how much we appreciate their investment in Gunner and our program,” said Tim and Colleen McQuay after learning of the achievement.
Several of Gunner’s progeny had a successful show at the National Reining Breeders Classic (NRBC) earning over $150,300 in the Challenge classes and Open and Non Pro finals alone. This final push gave Gunner the amount he needed to reach the five million dollar mark.
Some of the top earners included:
- Americasnextgunmodel owned by Arcese Quarter Horses USA. and ridden by NRHA Professional Casey Deary;
- HF Mobster owned by Heritage Farms/Rhodes River Ranch and ridden by NRHA Million Dollar Rider and Professional Jordan Larson;
- Chics San Guns owned by S. Coguaike and ridden by NRHA Four Million Dollar Rider, Hall of Fame inductee and Professional Shawn Flarida;
- Always Gotyer Gunsup owned by McQuay Stables and ridden by NRHA Million Dollar Rider Mandy McCutcheon;
- Customized Gunner owned by McQuay Stables and ridden by Mandy McCutcheon; and
- Gunsmokes TNT owned by Mary Jansma and ridden by NRHA Professional Sebastian Petroll.
Bred by Eric Storey of Henagar, Ala., Gunner is the top NRHA earning offspring of Colonelfourfreckle (Colonel Freckles x Miss Solano). Gunner is out of Katie Gun who has produced NRHA earners of more than $544,000. The 1993 stallion currently stands in Tioga, Texas at McQuay Stables, Inc. and is owned by McQuay Stables, Inc. (NRHA Three Million Dollar Rider and Hall of Fame inductee Tim McQuay and wife Colleen). Gunner earned nearly $175,000 in his career. His accolades include:
- •1996 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
- •1997 NRHA Derby Level 4 Non Pro finalist ridden by Kim Sloan
- •1998 NRBC Level 4 Open Reserve Champion ridden by Clint Haverty
- •1998 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open finalist ridden by Clint Haverty
- •2001 USET Festival Of Champions National Reining Champion ridden by Bryant Pace
In 2002, Gunner was immortalized as a Breyer Horse for the USET Special Edition model.
Gunner’s top-earning progeny include:
- Tinker With Guns (Gunner x Tinker Nic by Reminic): $336,200 NRHA LTE, bred by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Rancho Oso Rio, LLC and owned by the Tinker With Guns Partnership (which is currently being purchased by NRHA Corporate Partner Silver Spurs Equine). Awards include: 2009 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open finalist; 2011 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open Champion and NRBC Level 4 Open finalist; and 2012 NRHA Derby and NRBC Level 4 Open Reserve Champion.
- Americasnextgunmodel (Gunner x Cee Dun It Do It by NRHA Six Million Dollar Sire Hollywood Dun It): $223,900 NRHA LTE, bred by NRHA Million Dollar Owner David Silva, Sr. and owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Arcese Quarter Horses USA. Awards include: 2012 High Roller Reining Classic Futurity Level 4 Open Champion; 2012 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Champion; and 2013 NRBC Level 4 Open third place.
- Gunners Special Nite (Gunner x Mifs Doll by Mifilena): $219,700 NRHA LTE, bred by Kim and Debra Sloan and owned by Turnabout Farm, Inc. The first reining horse to be honored with the USEF Horse of the Year award. Other awards include: 2007 NRHA Futurity Level 3 Open Champion and Level 4 Open Reserve Champion; 2008 and 2009 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open finalist; 2009 and 2010 NRBC Level 4 Open finalist; and 2010 Alltech® FEI World Equestrian Games™ Individual and Team Gold Medalist.
- Gunnatrashya (Gunner x Natrasha by NRHA Hall of Fame inductee Trashadeous): $218,000 NRHA LTE, bred by Katarina Dorminy and owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner Arcese Quarter Horses U.S.A. Awards include: 2009 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Champion and All American Quarter Horse Congress Reining Futurity Level 4 Open Champion; 2010 NRHA Derby Level 4 Open Champion, and 2012 NRHA Futurity Open finalist.
- Gunners Tinseltown (Gunner x Miss Tinseltown by Great Red Pine): $152,900 NRHA LTE, bred and owned by NRHA Million Dollar Owner David Silva, Sr. Awards include: 2012 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open Reserve Champion and Prime Time Open Champion.
- Always Gotyer Gunsup (Gunner x Always A Dunit by NRHA Six Million Dollar Sire Hollywood Dun It): $152,400 NRHA LTE, bred by Trinity Compress Real Estate Co. and owned by McQuay Stables, Inc. Awards Include: 2010 NRHA Futurity Level 4 Open finalist and Prime Time Open Champion; 2012 NRBC Level 4 Non Pro Champion; 2012 NRHA Derby Level 4 Non Pro Reserve Champion; and 2013 NRBC Level 4 Non Pro Reserve Champion.
Incorporated in 1966, the National Reining Horse Association is the standard-setting body for the sport of Reining. NRHA, with their International Headquarters in Oklahoma City, is responsible for promoting the sport of Reining and working to ensure the highest standards of competition. To learn more about the NRHA, its programs and family of corporate partners, visit nrha.com.
By Hayley Lewallen
About the author
The news team at EquiMed is dedicated to keeping the horse community informed about the latest developments related to horse health and the horse industry from a community, state, national and global and political perspective.
Check back daily for the latest in up-to-date news!