Horse Health Matters®
- Keep your horse safe, and your other pets too
- Common poison plants that are located in YOUR region
- Great pictures help you identify these toxic plants
- Read the article
Horse health essentials
Quote of the day
Horse sense is the thing a horse has that keeps him from betting on people.W.C. Fields
Today's glossary term
Training and exercising a horse from the ground.
Tip of the day
Hoof testers are used to assess the entire hoof structure (wall, sole, frog, and bars of the heel) for sensitivity or pain.
Ask the experts
- Is there a low cost way of getting my horse to gain some weight?
- How do you shoe a horse with a crooked leg?
- My mare pins her ears when I approach!
- Is an all-stock 12% protein feed mix safe for my horse?
- How do I help my horse's dry cracked feet?
- I have two horses in my small herd of 5 that don't get along. What can I do?
- My horse has a club foot. Can it be treated?
- I'm building a barn. How big should the stalls be?
- My horse eats free-choice hay but she is getting fat. What should I do?
Email us your question - firstname.lastname@example.org
Recent health center articles
While there are potentially dozens of plants hazardous to horses in each region of the United States, this article covers the three most common toxic plants in each geographic area.
Learn how to achieve a conditioning and training effect, by gradual increases in workload and an appropriate diet while taking into consideration your horse’s unique capabilities.
Have horses that don't get along? Worried about potential injury to horses or people? Equine behavior expert Jenni Nellist offers advice on solving this problem.
Cribbing, weaving and stall walking are common stable vices. Learn the 8 common causes of stereotypies and 8 steps you can take to prevent these destructive behaviors.
Read to learn about the importance of conditioning for both horse and rider in preparing for trail rides whether they be purely recreational, a break from training, or a competitive endeavor.
Learn about the 5 ways you can improve air quality for your horse and how good ventilation makes your barn a healthy place for your horse and you.
Finding a horse's pulse and determining the heart rate can be difficult, even for professionals. Read about the four ways you can determine your horse's heart rate and how to tell if it is normal.